Developmental learning is an educational vision of Vygotsky. A central concept is thereby Vygotsky’s zone of proximal development, the difference between what the child can and where it needs help.
To explain this vision to you in a visual way you could refer to the schema below.
|Vygotski’s zone of proximal development
|Can not handle
|Zone of the current development
|Zone of proximal development
|What the child is able to perform
|What the child with another can perform
|What the child is not able to perform even with someone else
|Child does not need help
|Child can not do without the help of a skilled person
|Child becomes damaged when you don’t intervene
All classes are offered by development-oriented learning. The starting points of the Dutch for Kids lessons are:
- The development and learning takes mainly place from the zone of proximal development. The zone of proximal development shows where a child’s development is currently.
- Children have an innate desire to participate in the socio-cultural society. They learn through participation and interest in the socio-cultural world.
- Development is an interaction: Children have their own development and development strength and desire are simultaneously subject to the influence of the environment, especially the adults. Therefore, a good cooperation between the teacher, parents and the child is essential.
- All children are different in development opportunities, rate of development and the need for help and support in developing and learning. That’s why we offer individual education at Dutch for Kids.
- Development and learning take place on the basis of activities and contents that are personally meaningful to children. The children learn through meaningful themes or current (news) topics within the courses they get offered.
- Development and learning go smoothly when the teacher acts as a partner for the children and take some parts of activities on her account for a child who is not able to do the activities independently.
- Development and learning always presuppose interaction and communication. Therefore social communicative situations between teachers, parents and children are necessary.